Debit Card Courtesy Overdraft
What you need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. First Interstate Bank can cover your overdrafts two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account. A fee is associated with this service.
- We DO authorize overdrafts on checks, transactions using your checking account, and automatic bill payments.
- We do NOT authorize ATM or everyday debit card transactions as part of our standard overdraft service. ATM or debit card transactions may be declined if you are overdrawn or if the transaction will cause you to become overdrawn.
- We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or credit card, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. A fee may be associated with these services. To learn more, ask your banker about these plans.
There is a way to cover those services (ATM and everyday debit card transactions) that are not currently covered in the two scenarios described above. This service is Debit Card Courtesy Overdraft.
Debit Card Courtesy Overdraft is a service offered to cover ATM and debit card transactions that will be declined when your account is overdrawn, or will become so when the transaction occurs. Coverage is offered at our discretion and is not guaranteed. Standard overdraft fees will apply for this coverage, as explained below.
To authorize First Interstate Bank to pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, please visit your local branch or call our Client Contact Center at 1-855-342-3400 (M-F 7:30am – 7pm and Sat 10am – 2pm MST).
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge a fee of $30 each time we pay an overdraft
- We will charge $35 after the account has been overdrawn for four (4) business days. A fee will be assessed every fifth (5th) business day that the account continues to be overdrawn.
- There is NO LIMIT on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.