Preferred Checking is one of our most inclusive checking accounts for customers looking for added features while earning interest. Pay bills and manage your account from anywhere, anytime while receiving the highest level of customer service when you visit a branch. Preferred Checking is a great choice if you're looking for a full-service checking solution and require convenient access to your funds.
Earns market rate of interest (rates subject to change)
- Unlimited check writing
- Debit Card
- First Interstate Day & Night Teller ATM use
- First Interstate Day & Night Telephone Banking
- Direct Deposit
- Free checks (default style) or a discount on other check styles
- Overdraft Protection available* (fees apply)
- Courtesy Overdraft available (fees apply)
- Interest rate bonus of 0.10% on CDs (terms of two years or more)
- Safe deposit box rental discount
- Earn points for your everyday purchases with a FirstRewards World MasterCard*
- Earn 3,000 points upon account opening when a FirstRewards World MasterCard* and Preferred Checking are opened together.
All Checking Accounts have access to Online Banking, Online Bill Payment, Electronic Statements, Account Alerts(basic), Direct Connect, and Mobile Banking.
No service charge if customer maintains either of the following:
- $1,500 minimum balance in Preferred Checking
- $5,000 or more in total combined First Interstate deposits (checking, savings, money market and/or CDs)
- If neither of the above balance criteria are met, a $13 monthly maintenance fee is assessed (balance requirement is waived for customers 60 years of age or older)
Open Your Account in a Branch
Stop by any First Interstate Bank branch and one of our bankers will assist you in opening your account.
Open Your Account Online
Opening your account online is easy and secure. The process should only take about 10 minutes.
Items and Information You May Need to Open Your Account
- U.S. Social Security number
- A valid form of identification including driver's license, state ID, military ID, tribal ID, or passport
- Previous home address (if you have lived at your current home address less than two years)
- Credit card, debit card, or U.S. checking or savings account to fund your new account(s)
- Access to a printer to print the account agreement at the end of the opening process
Please Note: Your application session will automatically time out if there is no activity for 30 minutes. All information will be lost if this occurs.